Friday, January 2, 2009

Eat, drink and be merry (and thankful!)

Who says good food is hard to find?
Not me.

All you need to have is a keen tastebud, a healthy appetite and a good guide. We went to Penang and Ipoh in early December and the thing I remember most now as I look back is the fantastic food.

I’m sure some of you have tried the nasi kandar at Nasi Kandar Line Clear. Isnt it amazing that a small stall nestled between shops along Penang Road has become famous nationwide for its Nasi Kandar? The first thing I saw when we arrived there was the long queue of customers waiting to tar pau the nasi kandar. Sorry I was so smitten by the food that I forgot to take pictures of the stall and its wonderful food. We had fried chicken, fish curry (a must!), telur ikan, vegetables and salted eggs. YUM!

In Ipoh, we had this fantastic Naan bread with superb condiments : mint chutney (I loved it), potato sambal (Sham loved it) and dhall + mung beans gravy. The combination is simply orgasmic!! I was restraining myself from licking the plate! Betul tak tipu!

You will find this wonderful food at Nasi Kandar AK at Jalan Maxwell only from 6pm onwards.

Again, I forgot to take pictures of the naan and its orgasmic condiments. Guess I’ll have to go back to Ipoh and have it for dinner again. But I’m sure I will still have a tough time remembering to snap pictures!

We went to Restoran Salim at Jalan Yang Kalsom Ipoh for breakfast and we had paper thosai (as big as a broadsheet size newspaper!), bawang thosai and luverly chapatti with sambal sardine.

Sham and Biyan
Leed helped to "koyak" 'Ali's roti bawang
Angah and Mak enjoying breakfast
THE BIG KAHUNA. Mak's thosai paper. Its size put broadsheet newspapers to shame!

The places I went certainly didn’t cost a bomb. Fine, these places aren’t five star but really, if you’re a food lover you wouldn’t mind foregoing some luxury.
After all what really matters is the food and the company you are with, right?

No comments: